- No music experience required, no drumming experience required.
- This is a therapeutic drum circle so 12 people per session maximum
- Individuals affected by chronic illness are welcome – music helps you feel better.
- You are welcome to use our instruments or you can bring one that you prefer to use.
- We don’t just drum we also sing favourites and discuss how music affects our stress and daily feelings of well-being.
SAMPLE SESSION IN CELEBRATION OF
NATIONAL MUSIC THERAPY WEEK:
WEDNESDAY MARCH 20, 10:00 – 11:30 (only $20)
FACILITATOR: Jennifer Buchanan
Our Music Circles Will:
PROVIDE MILD EXERCISE
Drumming is an accessible exercise which burns calories and improves mood and may reduce the risk of disease. (Thune, Brenn, Lund, Gaard, 1997)
Drumming powers people to move beyond their perceived boundaries.
PROVIDE CAMARADERIE AND SUPPORT
Drumming builds camaraderie and support by creating a safe space where people feel comfortable sharing and offering support.
GIVE AN OPPORTUNITY FOR MUSIC MAKING
“Music making offers extensive exercise for brain cells and their synapses (connections). It would be difficult to find another activity that engages so many of the brains systems.”(Weinberger, N., 1998)
Group drumming strengthened the immune system by increasing Natural Killer (NK) cell activity. (Bittman, Alternative Therapies, 2001) This protocol also reversed multiple components of the human stress response on the genomic level, not just reducing but reversing 19 genetic switches that turn on the stress response believed responsible in the development of common diseases. (Bittman, Medical Science Monitor, 2005)